We specialise in counselling to LGBTQ people (otherwise known as gender sexual and relationship diversity). You do not need to bd LGBT to volunteer, but we actively welcome trainees who identify as LGBT, or who are kinky, or in ethically non-monogamous relationships.
Coventry - Timeout counselling
Timeout entry on the Counselling Directory site states:
Timeout counselling is closing on 31 May and is not taking on new clients.
We don't know yet if this means closed for COVID or closed for good!
Timeout counselling sees clients for all manner of reasons. At times of high need we restrict our waiting list to just LGBTQ+ people, but even when our waiting list is restricted, this does not need to be what clients wish to talk about.
We actively welcome applications from students who are LGBTQ+, and in the plus we include ethically non-monogamous relationships, and kink and bdsm relationships, non-binary people, asexual people, intersex people.
Benefits of becoming a trainee with Timeout
- No monthly fee
- Free monthly training (advertised nationally and not free to non-Timeout people)
- £150/year bursary to attend training on our specialist topics
- Access to our growing library
- Monthly meetings with the rest of the team
- A level of cultural competency in this area that you will not gain anywhere else in the regional area
- EITHER be a qualified counsellor with or working towards accreditation with BACP or UKCP
- Have ordinary membership of BACP or UKCP (or other relevant body) if not accredited
- Demonstrate an understanding of LGBT communities and a knowledge of alternative relationship styles
- Have a minimum of 20 supervised client hours (desirable)
- Be available to attend in-house regular meetings (no more than monthly)
- Be willing to attend regular training (no more than monthly) on our specialist areas where you have weaknesses
- Have the understanding and ability to set and hold appropriate boundaries, being particularly sensitive to the needs of clients whose boundaries have been violated
- Have external supervision with a BACP or UKCP registered supervisor (we can provide you with a list of LGBTQ+ culturally competent supervisors who have agreed to give discounted fees to our volunteers)
All year entry
- Gender & sexual diversity
Number of spaces
Number of hours each week
Requires membership of an ethical body?
Which ethical body?
Any relevant (BACP/UKCP/NCS/COSSRT etc)
Exclusions allowed under the Equality Act?
How to apply
To apply please visit https://timeoutcounselling.org.uk/opportunitiesvacancies/ and fill in our application form. Application is via a series of vignettes. We don't expect perfect knowledge on the vignettes, but what we do want to see is plenty of reflection. It matters less to us that you had a negative response to any of the vignettes presented, and more that you are able to reflect on the process.
England - West Midlands
We are based on the second floor with no lift. If you are unable to use stairs, we may be able to use a different building with a stairlift. Please let us know if offered an interview
Phone - mobile